Study field 2.2.4 Dramatic Art
Mode of study: full-time
Study program: Acting
The aim of bachelor’s study program Acting is to develop creative potential of students not only in classical dramatic style of acting but also in terms of training them for interdisciplinary approach in modern professions, film, television, radio and dubbing acting and multimedia performances.
Bachelor’s study of acting is framed within three basic levels: psychosomatic, creative and theoretical.
First level – deepening and development of one’s own identity and creative individuality
Second level – development of physical expression and speech style
Third level – study of theory, art history, especially dramatic arts.
The principle subject at Bachelor’s degree in the study program of Acting is Acting Education in Dramatic Genres, in which students shall acquire authentic acting expression based on their nature. They shall be able to create acting parts. Within stage creation and acting parts, they shall manage their first contact with spoken word. Following the above-mentioned principle subject, there is Speech Technique, which provides students with basic technical abilities in the field breath technique, voice and articulation, leading them to automated starting point for further work on speech expression.
Acquiring orthopaedic principles and their practical use. In the subject Voice Technique, students acquire basic skills and knowledge in the field of voice technique. Their practical use in the process of acting practice on stage (large and small theatre venues, use of voice for microphone). In addition, students acquire the basics of singing technique in connection with spoken word technique. Through various training exercises, Actor‘s physical education guides students to flexibility, plasticity, ability to improvise, ability to use psychophysical apparatus in a coordinated and conscious way, and ability to build one’s own stage character independently. The above-mentioned principle subjects within actors’ education blend with subject Theatre cooperation of actor and director. Apart from practical subjects, which make up to 70% of recommended study plan, curriculum is supplemented with theoretical knowledge covered in these subjects: Chapters from History of Slovak theatre, History of World Theatre, Theory of Drama, Analysis of Dramatic text, Theory and Methods of Acting.
Study program: Theatre Dramaturgy and Direction
The goal of study field Dramatic Art and its study programs is to educate professional artists, develop their talents, abilities and skills required for achieving professional standards in the selected study program. It is to acquire theoretical and practical knowledge, methods and technniques, genres and style of theatre production. The content of the study field relies on individual’s creativity and realisation of artistic work or performance. The study is complemented with content from other humanities and social sciences curricula in an adequate manner. In education process, emphasis is put on students creativity. The core of subject matter in the study field of Dramatic Art is based on talent, abilities, knowledge and skills, which graduates acquire as a prerequisite for job placement on the market and the field of arts.
Study field: 2.2.5 Film art and multimedia
Mode of study: full-time
Study program: Film and television direction and Screenwriting
The goal of study program Film and television direction, and screenwriting is to share and connect general cultural knowledge with practical experience, and to merge theory and practice. The study program Film and television direction, and screenwriting at bachelor’s degree is to provide students with knowledge and practical experience in the fields of:
- creativity and talent development, acquiring knowledge and realisation of artistic activities in practice in form of practical assignments,
- methods of work, author’s interpretation of reality and realisation of program patterns in form of artefact
- history of film art, television and audio-visual production
- social, humane, cultural, economic and legal contexts related to the field of audio vision
Curriculum of the study program
- Film, as a synthetic art form, merges different means of expression and specifics into its final form. To raise and educate a filmmaker today means to develop his or her sensitivity to all art forms, which are combined in a final film. This approach makes up the core of the study program.
- The core of the study program is comprised of compulsory art subjects, compulsory theoretical subjects and optional specialized subjects.
- The study focuses on originla individual artistic work of students supervised by a pedagogue (individual approach). Personal interest of students correspond to their own selection of topics for creative practice and personal approach to seminar works.
- Specialized theoretical subjects are fundamental for further study in the field. Students are encouraged to express themselves in writing, oral examinations and seminar works.
- By choosing optional subjects, student is obliged, in line with his or her talent and interest, to develop their skills in traditional film professions. Optional subjects are part of the curricula, which allows students to command and develop their specialisation. It broadens their professional competence and allows for diverse job opportunities in practice.
- Compulsory subjects, which supplement general knowledge, are taught to broaden the core of study program with basic overview of art history and aestetics.
- Optional subjects are selected from the list depending on students’ preferences and dispositions. Concerning the subjects taught on individual basis, students are expected to show their talent. The range of optional subjects corresponds to students’ interests.
- The study is supplemented with organizing creative workshops, which focus on various topics, also from related professions, introducing external experts and guests.
The core topics of the study program:
- authorial film direction
- creating screenplay
- analysis of reality and author’s definition of the project in form of text – analysis, selection, synthesis
- synthesis into a form of audiovisual message – documentary film or screenplay of feature film
List of principle topics and alternative units of the core
- good command of cinematic means of expressions
- working methods applied in film production
- microcomposition, macrocomposition, architectonics of film work
- making of mental concepts and their verbal and other ways of fixation
- materialisation of author’s ideas into a perceptible form by means of staging the scenes in natural or artificial environments
- recording of materialized author’s ideas by means of audiovisual technical equipment
- processing and editing audiovisual footage into a final form
- film production with professional filmmaking crew
Technical and technological skills:
- command of information technology in the process of filmmaking
- command of sound and image recording equipment
- post-production of audiovisual footage
- basics of virtual reality by means of information technology
- ability to respond to the development of new technologies and equipment
Other topics of the core knowledge:
- history of world and Slovak film and television production
- development of film theory and mass media communication
- history of art and aesthetics
- ethics of production
- art management and marketing, art product placement
Academic subjects of the study program at bachelor’s degree is divided into three basic categories:
- General knowledge subjects of the study program and specialized subjects (History of Cinematography, Aesthetics, History of film theories, History of Art, Language of cinema, Introduction to theory of documentary production).
- Profile subjects on art education focused on individual production, which results in a bachelor’s artistic project. They are supplemented with theoretical subjects, objective of which is to develop specific skills of students in the selected study field. The main focus of subjects is to motivate students to cooperate with their pedagogue, and/or colleagues in solving assigned tasks with contribution of everyone involved. (Performance practice – screenplay of feature film, Performance practice – realisation of documentary film, The basics of film dramaturgy, Documentary production, Film production, Editing, The basics of technology, Theory of drama, History of Literature, History of literature and film, Dramaturgical seminar – television production for children and youth, Radio production, Methods of audiovisual production). Students are obliged to choose at least five subjects from the list of Profile subjects on art education – corresponding to their artistic preferences.
- Optional subjects depending on their availability in the academic year (student is welcome to enroll in courses of other departments)
- At bachelor’s degree, the principle subjects are part of General Curricula of the study program and specialized theoretical subjects. Profile subjects on art education focus on individual preparation of students to master their artistic performance and personal development.